Sunday, June 18, 2017

Lilacs, New and Improved

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been working with still-life again. Switching between still-life and landscapes requires a bit of thinking. The techniques are different because of the obvious differences in the two subjects. In still-life painting shapes are more exacting, details are sharper, colors more intense and the light is controlled. Aerial perspective is present but to a different degree. Maintaining accuracy and freshness without overworking is always a concern.

My second lilac painting is finished and I can see an improvement. It may need a bit of this and that, but it is basically done. I need to put it aside and look at it with a fresh eye. This new painting will now be the wedding gift. The first one will be seriously evaluated and portions may be scraped away and repainted.

Painting is great fun. The challenge of different subjects with their different requirements is a fascinating battle and I look forward to each day in my studio. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed teaching so much was to explore this whole concept with my students. We all worked very hard and my reward was when I could see them reach a new and deeper understanding about the theory of painting. And in teaching, I continued to learn. It was a great partnership.


So here is the new and improved painting of lilacs that will be my gift to the new bride and groom.

Lilacs for Her Wedding, 9x12, oil

Tomorrow I begin another painting.

Thanks for visiting with me,
Celene 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.