Sunday, June 18, 2017

Lilacs, New and Improved

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been working with still-life again. Switching between still-life and landscapes requires a bit of thinking. The techniques are different because of the obvious differences in the two subjects. In still-life painting shapes are more exacting, details are sharper, colors more intense and the light is controlled. Aerial perspective is present but to a different degree. Maintaining accuracy and freshness without overworking is always a concern.

My second lilac painting is finished and I can see an improvement. It may need a bit of this and that, but it is basically done. I need to put it aside and look at it with a fresh eye. This new painting will now be the wedding gift. The first one will be seriously evaluated and portions may be scraped away and repainted.

(Update: The first lilac painting was modified and refined, then listed in my Ebay Store and now has a new home in New Jersey.) 

Painting is great fun. The challenge of different subjects with their different requirements is a fascinating battle and I look forward to each day in my studio. I think one of the reasons I enjoyed teaching so much was to explore this whole concept with my students. We all worked very hard and my reward was seeing them reach a new and deeper understanding about the theory of painting. And in teaching, I continued to learn. It was a great partnership.

So here is the new and improved painting of lilacs that will be my gift to the new bride and groom.

Lilacs for Her Wedding, 9x12, oil

Tomorrow I begin another painting.

Thanks for visiting with me,
Celene 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.