Saturday, September 7, 2024

Double Primary Palette

                                 

I'm often asked, "What colors do you use?"


Since we know that all the colors we see are created from the three primary colors, I limit my tubed colors to these three primaries plus white. I can then mix all the colors I need.


I use a double primary palette - two versions of each of the primaries - red, yellow and blue, plus titanium white. I chose a bright and a dull version of each.


You can vary your choices of the three primaries. This will give you a slightly different nuance of color and that makes it interesting. It's also a way to use up those extra tubes of paint. Just make sure to stay within the primary color family for each choice.


Occasionally, especially with my night scenes I might need to add a spot of bright color for artificial and neon lights. Flower paintings may also require bits of brighter colors. But these colors are infrequent additions and are stored in a separate container.


For landscapes, be sure to choose the versions of the colors that fit the region where you paint. I live in Maine. Here I see cool, deep greens, earth colors, blue-grays. Years ago when we went to Florida for the winter, on our first trip I made the mistake of taking my “Maine” palette of colors. Big mistake - Florida colors are bright and tropical.


By keeping your color palette simple, you will have better color harmony, simplify your painting procedure - and save money, too.


So, to answer the question, “What colors do you use?” Here is my current double primary palette.


Cad Yellow Light & Yellow Ochre

Light Red & Alizarin Crimson

Ultramarine Blue & Cerulean

Titanium White



Remember that you can switch out different reds, blues and yellows. Have fun!


Happy painting!     Celene


My Website -  CeleneFarris.com

My eBay Store -  eBay Store Celene Farris, Maine Artist

My Facebook Page -  Facebook Celene Farris, Maine Artist


Email me - mail@CeleneFarris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.