Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Cityscape and a Focal Point


In my last post I shared the beginning stage of my latest nocturne cityscape. Above is my finished painting. I maintained my established structure but allowed my story to evolve as I painted.

Bright City Lights, 8x10 WIP

Throughout the painting process it's crucial to keep in mind that only the subject of the painting (or focal point) will be in sharp focus. The remainder of the objects in the scene are seen in our peripheral vision and will be slightly out of focus. 
This is how our eye actually views a scene.

You can prove this to yourself by looking at one object and without moving your eye, use your peripheral vision to see the surrounding objects.

Forgetting the importance of a strong focal point and not painting the scene as the eye would naturally see it is a problem very often seen in student paintings. Everything is in sharp focus. The eye doesn't know what to focus on and the whole painting looks unnatural - often uncomfortable to view. Remember - one focal point per painting! 

Foregrounds can be another problem area. They are the areas closest to you and if you are looking straight ahead to your focal point - the foreground is definitely not in focus! 

An interesting painting gives us a lot to see. The eye wanders around exploring the scene but is always drawn back to the focal point. And leave your painting a bit unfinished. Don't tell the whole story. This bit of mystery allows your viewer to become a part of the painting's story. 

Thanks for visiting with me. Stay warm. Spring will be on the way soon, I hope.

Celene

And please remember to visit my new Facebook page - 


Celene Farris, A Maine Artist 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.