Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Day # 4 - Two B&W acrylic underpaintings

Since I like to begin my work with an underpainting, I thought I would share these future paintings with you. 

Work in Progress, 5x7 acrylic underpainting

Work in Progress, 5x7 acrylic underpainting

Creating an underpainting is a safety-net. Since there are four major elements to a painting - composition, shapes, tones and colors, it makes sense to simplify a complicated procedure. By working with an underpainting, I have established the composition, shapes and tones. In the next step I only have to worry about color. 

Working in two steps is much easier than trying to juggle all four elements at once. I use either oil or acrylic paint for my underpainting. Today I chose acrylic because it dries quickly.

Hopefully these paintings will be finished tomorrow, or at least one of them. But who knows, maybe I'll work on something else.

Thanks for visiting,
Celene

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.