Friday, November 18, 2022

Using a Double Primary Palette.


Answering that frequent question - "What colors do you use?"


I use a double primary palette. Knowing that all the colors we see are created from the three primary colors - red, yellow and blue - I experimented with various tubed colors until I found the colors that worked for me. A warm and cool version of the three primaries gave me a complete range of color mixtures.


Over the years I have adjusted my choices but stayed with the basics - two versions of the three primary colors - 2 reds, 2 yellows and 2 blues. Plus black and white, of course.


Occasionally, especially with my night scenes I might need to add a bright color for artificial and neon lights. Flower paintings may also require bits of brighter colors. But these colors are infrequent additions and are stored in a separate container.


Be sure to choose the versions of the colors that fit the region where you paint. I live in Maine. Here I see muted colors, deep greens, earth colors, blue-grays - a soft palette. Years ago when we went to Florida for the winter, on my first trip I made the mistake of taking my “Maine” palette of colors. Big mistake. Florida colors are bright and tropical.


So experiment. But remember that you will need two versions of the three primary colors - red, yellow and blue - to create a full range of successful color mixtures. What versions you pick will be your personal choice. But by keeping your color palette simple, you will have better color harmony - simplify your painting procedure - and save money, too.


So, to answer the question, “What colors do you use?” Here is my current palette.


Cad Yellow Light and Raw Sienna

Light Red and Alizarin Crimson

Ultramarine Blue and Cerulean Blue

Titanium White and Ivory Black.


Note - I only use Ivory Black as a modifier. Some artists prefer Raw Umber. You can work without either, but I like having it on hand. 


Happy painting!  

      

 Celene


PS. Wondering what to do with all those extra tubes of paint.... See my next post...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.