Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Day #27 The Blue Umbrella

The Blue Umbrella, 5x7, oil SOLD

I finished this painting late this afternoon. It took longer than I planned as the painting seemed to have a mind of its own. After many changes, it is finally finished.

I work from photos that I have collected from the internet and stored in my Kindle. These photos are essential, but they are not mine. They were taken by many people and I am very grateful that they are willing to share them with us. I would never copy one of these photos completely as they are someone else’s vision and not mine. 

Since I need reference photos for the structure and composition, I choose elements from two or three photos to tell my story. The photo of the girl with the umbrella was in black and white. I looked through my other photos and chose two for the background. Once I have the initial block-in done, I don’t look at the photos very often. I just paint and let the painting tell me what it needs. I work until it looks right to me. I find that if I give it a title and keep that story in mind, I can stay on track. This can be a tricky way of painting and sometimes you just have to walk away and focus on something else for awhile. Then when I return to my easel the painting behaves itself and we continue until it's done.

But once in awhile the painting just won’t cooperate and there is no choice but to wipe it off and start again. Today was a good day.


Thanks for visiting,
Celene


This painting was available in my Ebay Store - Small Paintings.

Leslie Saeta's 30/30 Challenge for February 2018.

www.CeleneFarris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.