Friday, February 23, 2018

Day #22 Bright City Lights

Bright City Lights, 5x7 oil SOLD

I've always had a fascination with cities. Not the new chrome and concrete cities, but the old brick and brownstones. 

I grew up in a small town near Hartford, CT. When I was young, my parents and I used to go to Hartford every Sunday afternoon. My father played the sax in a local dance club and my mother and I would walk down Main Street to the movies. We had looked in the Sunday papers to choose our movie from one of the five or six theaters on Main Street. After the movies we would walk to the club which closed at 9PM on Sunday nights. Back then a woman and a child could walk the streets in the evening without danger.

Beside theaters with brightly lit marques, Main Street had large department stores with beautiful windows, doormen and elevator operators in uniforms and red caps. All the buildings seemed huge and elegant. The alleyways between the buildings looked dark and mysterious. There were lights and people everywhere. I thought it was a wondrous adventure.

We always stopped for ice cream after the movies. Then we walked to my father's club and had about half an hour to wait until closing. We would sit at a table and listen to my father's band and watch the dancers. It was noisy and crowded, filled with music and laughter. 

As we left Hartford, the city was still busy and bright. Before we reached home I was asleep.

Nice memories.

Thanks for visiting,
Celene



This painting was available in my Ebay Store - Small Paintings.

Leslie Saeta's 30/30 Challenge for February 2018.

www.CeleneFarris.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Thank you.